Subject: RE: HTML - was RE: Flashed RB still having charging issues..
From: Fred Maxwell (rockbox_at_anti-spam.org)
Date: 2003-10-21

Linus wrote:

> No, I think it's silly of people to expect that all recipients on a
> mailing list are using email clients capable of displaying HTML.

Which people expect that? Give me some names. I know that I don't expect
it. But I also know that I've slipped up in the past and sent HTML to
listserver a handful of times. So will others.

If you recognize that people won't all be able to display HTML, why doesn't
the listserver strip out the HTML (using something like stripmime.pl) and
turn the e-mails into plaintext before broadcasting them? Or, if it's that
important to avoid HTML, bounce the messages.

It's completely unrealistic to expect over 450 individual members of a
mailing list to remember, and adhere to, a no-HTML rule each and every time
that they post. You can demand it. You can put it into writing. You can
publish it in FAQs. And people will still occasionally send HTML anyway.
And then others will reply to bitch about it.

So it can be fixed at the listserver or we can go through this again and
again.

Regards,
  Fred Maxwell