Subject: RE: HTML - was RE: Flashed RB still having charging issues..
From: Daniel Stenberg (daniel_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-10-21

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Fred Maxwell wrote:

> > No, I think it's silly of people to expect that all recipients on a
> > mailing list are using email clients capable of displaying HTML.
>
> Which people expect that?

Most people who send HTML mails assume the receivers perceive the mails the
same way they sent them. Experience tells me that.

> But I also know that I've slipped up in the past and sent HTML to listserver
> a handful of times. So will others.

And people continue to click on virus attachments, use windows, drink and
drive and commit crime. That is not a reason for me to like it.

> If you recognize that people won't all be able to display HTML, why doesn't
> the listserver strip out the HTML (using something like stripmime.pl)

Because that's a mess. Because we've instead decided to ask people kindly not
to do that.

> Or, if it's that important to avoid HTML, bounce the messages.

Why is that better than enforcing the policy gently?

> It's completely unrealistic to expect over 450 individual members of a
> mailing list to remember, and adhere to, a no-HTML rule each and every time
> that they post.

I disagree. I think every single subscriber of this list is an intelligent
being. I would even say that MOST mailing lists detest HTML mails and that the
thumb rule should be NOT to sent HTML to anyone before you know it accepted
and OK.

> So it can be fixed at the listserver or we can go through this again and
> again.

It can't be fixed "at the listsever" with a decent level of functionality:

1. stripping or converting isn't good enough and will confuse users
2. bouncing mails with HTML in them will confuse users
3. asking people on the list not to send HTML apparently makes people upset

There's no way to win. There's only different ways to face different problems.

You think 1 or 2 is good, we've taken alternative 3 so far.

I think this is a good choice. Now can we drop this and move on?