Subject: Re: Wma to Mp3 conversion results?
From: mrlipring (mrlipring_at_tiscali.co.uk)
Date: 2003-10-22

----- Original Message -----
From: "LoveLearn" <LoveLearn_at_iw.net>
To: <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 7:27 PM
Subject: Wma to Mp3 conversion results?

> I've only found some music I want in Wma format. I've tried a few 30-day
> conversion software versions to use these on my Archos. But conversion
> results were troubling. I expected slight conversion loss when changing
> 128 b/s Wma files to 128 b/s Mp3s, but they were conspicuously degraded.
> What guidelines have you decided upon as the best tradeoff between size
> and sound? For instance, do you convert 128 Wma to 128 Mp3 or convert
> 128 Wma to 160 Mp3? Also, do different conversion software products give
> different quality audible if operated comparably? How do you convert Wma
> files?
> Most Archos users convert formats to Mp3s. Please share your insights.
> John LoveLearn

i just don't download anything but wma, that's how i deal with things. if
it's possible to get something in mp3 i do. anything that ain't possible to
get, i rip it myself. if i can't rip it myself, OR get it as mp3, i probably
don't care enough to go to the bother of listening to a bad reencode of it.

if you MUST reencode stuff, output the wma or whatever to wav, then encode
to mp3 with lame. i reckon you can just do a straight 1:1 conversion
bitrate-wise. depending on the source codec, that might vary, but for wma
that should be sufficient.

i think dbpoweramp will convert 'em, but i'm not sure because i don't do
that kinda stuff. :)