Subject: Re: Wma to Mp3 conversion results?
From: Chris Holt (
Date: 2003-10-23

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:25:50 -0500, Glenn Ervin at home wrote:
> Hi John,
> You will not get a better sounding file by converting to a higher bit
> rate. As I have heard it put, "You can't make a silk bag out of a sow's
> ear". You will make the file larger, but the sound is the same. A good
> freeware program, that only bothers you with a window requesting that
> you register the software, is called GoldWave. I think it does a nice
> job of converting. Glenn.

Actually, you might. We are talking about converting from one compressed
format to another, so, if WMA preserves more high frequencies at the same
bitrate, then the MP3 encoder will need a little higher bitrate to capture
them. Mind you now, I'm not saying it WILL sound better, just that it

You are absolutely right if we were talking about upconverting a 128kbps
MP3 to a 160kbps MP3 (nothing to gain, AFAIK)