Subject: RE: usb-storage not recognizing archos 20g fm recorder in linux
From: Fred Maxwell (rockbox_at_anti-spam.org)
Date: 2003-10-24

David McIntyre wrote:

> So Windows isn't better, it's just dominant.

In some ways it's better. In others it's worse. If I was developing on the
Rockbox team, I'd be doing so under Linux. No question. If I was
installing a PC for a web-surfing, e-mailing, gaming relative, I'd go for
Windows.

They are just different. Linux wins hands down for the security model.
Microsoft's is a convoluted mess as a result. That's why 90+% of Win
NT/2K/XP users run with administrator rights ("root" to the *nix-only
crowd).

Linux, because of the myriad distros, is a support nightmare while Windows
is pretty decent. If someone installs Windows XP, there is a certain
default set of files, directories, settings, etc. that all third party
vendors can count on. Not so with Linux.

But don't even start me about the nightmare that is "the registry"!

> Care to be a witness for the antitrust effort?

Yes. I hate the bastards in Redmond. I've seen their "embrace and extend"
philosophy destroy valuable standards. Count me in.

Regards,
  Fred Maxwell