Subject: Re: current plugins (& rockbox browsing patch)
From: Jack (jack_at_sylviawebster.f2s.com)
Date: 2003-10-24

Wouldn't that require that every plugin is loaded and an initialisation function executed when Rockbox is started? Surly once you have a lot of rocks, this would be slow? I suppose another way around it would be to have a text file (in a format not dissimilar to Windows INI, but diffrent in structure. I'm sure you see what I mean) that each rock could add to if they wanted to be added into the menu, but that would take away the easy installing of rocks which we have at the moment.

Or am I missing something or not thinking of all the possible solutions?

>Björn Stenberg wrote:
>
>>Eric Linenberg wrote:
>>

>>>--- There should still be Demos/Games root menu items (why get rid of
>>>this?)
>>>

>>Because we don't want the Rockbox code to know nor care about which
>plugins you have on your disk.
>>

>How about extending the plugin API to allow plugin's to add menu items?
>Then a game plugin could request that it be added to the "Games" menu as
>"Foo". And rockbox would (if needed) create the "Games" menu and add a
>"Foo" entry that would kick off the plugin. I thought this idea had
>come up before...

Jack (My Website)