Subject: Re: Wma to Mp3 conversion results?
From: scott (die_pokemon_die123_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 2003-10-25

> Lame was mentioned as an excellent Wav to Mp3 converter. Is it better
> than others? Also, what have others decided upon as the best file size
> vs. audio quality b/s conversion guideline. Unless the conversion
> software I've tried so far is worse than Lame for example, converting
> 128 Wma to 128 Mp3 generates unacceptably-obvious quality losses. Maybe
> 128 to 160 or 192 or even 256 will be required before the conversion
> process is not obvious.

it seems like it would be easiest to just trying re-encoding at 128 and 192, etc, and just
listening to them. what you use to encode them with probably won't have a very dramatic
difference, but there might be one.

i would start by re-encoding at 320 and listening to that. if it sounds good, work your way down
until you can hear the difference. if it still sounds terrible, just give up. either accept the
loss of quality or look for it in another format.

speaking of which, does anyone know if for-pay (DRMed) mp3s (such as from itunes) work on the
archos?

-scott