Subject: Re: current plugins (& rockbox browsing patch)
From: Andreas Stemmer (groovingandi_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2003-10-25

Jack wrote:
> I suppose another way around it would be to have a text file (in a format
> not dissimilar to Windows INI, but diffrent in structure. I'm sure you
> see what I mean) that each rock could add to if they wanted to be added
> into the menu, but that would take away the easy installing of rocks
> which we have at the moment.

Yeah, I don't want to have an installation and deinstallation process for
any plugin I want to have in the menu.
Why not have a menu mapped to directory structure? We could have a
"plugins" or "rocks" directory in our .rockbox directory containing all the
plugins. If there are subdirectories ("games" for example), rockbox could
create a menu item for each subdirectory (if not empty) at startup (called
"games" for exapmle) where all the plugins in this subdirectory appear.
This would need a directory scanning once at startup, but is very dynamic
and user friendly and it solves two issues at the same time: the plugins
directory gets better organisation and we have back the menu items in user
defined categories.

Andreas Stemmer