Subject: Re: Help please
From: Michael O'Quinn (michael_at_oquinn.info)
Date: 2003-10-27

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Rocker wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried looking on the rockbox site and user manual. I just bought an
> Archos 20 gb FM recorder/voice recorder. I am blind so please bare with
> me. I would like to try the rockbox firmware because of the talkbox
> patch. Well here is my question.
>
> What is the latest stable version of rockbox & how do I install it onto
> my Archos? does the talkbox patch have to be installed after installing
> the firmware?
>
> Sorry for the trouble but I am new to this technology. I catch on fast
> though.
>
> Cheers and thanks for all your help
>
> rocker

The latest OFFICIAL stable version is 2.0, but that's pretty out of date.
Usually, the latest daily build is just as stable (or even more so, since
bugs are often fixed) with just a slight chance of getting a real nasty
lemon. But if that happens, just go back a few days, or wait a few days
and down the latest again. Those kind of bugs tend to get fixed pretty
fast around here. (Kudos to the developers!)

Talkbox has never been integrated into the mainline code. I think the
developer submitted a patch, but it's never been included. I don't know
what the latest version of talk box is -- does anyone else recall? I
think I may have downloaded and installed it (I spent an evening making
all the little Sound-Bite files it needs) but since it was never included
in the main tree, I kind of last interest. (Hint, Hint.)

If no one else remembers where to download the Talkbox binaries, I can
send you a copy of mine. No wait, that won't work since I have a player,
that the FM Recorder version is different.

If you want to apply the patches yourself, you will need to create a
Rockbox development environment. It's not terribly difficult if you've
ever done any programming, but it does take some time. Look on the
documentation page under "Howtos" just after "For hackers".

Good luck!
Michael