Subject: Re: usb-storage not recognizing archos 20g fm recorder in linux

Re: usb-storage not recognizing archos 20g fm recorder in linux

From: Christian Mahr <christian.mahr.ulm_at_arcor.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:47:02 +0100

Hi all,

I have observed that hotplugging my archos recorder 20 to Linux depends
sometimes on the sequence of what you do first:

        a) switch-on archos first, wait for complete power-up, then connect
        b) connect USB first, then power-on

As I overserved, option a) works much more reliable than b).

From my investigations (switching on tracing in usb-storage) in ealier kernel
versions I believe that during b) the USB interface in the archos is not
fully operable during boot, at a time linux already wants to access the disk.
So sometimes the first accesses to the disk fail on a
USB-block-exchange-level. On he other hand, until very recently, the re-tries
from linux side following an USB failure did not work in all of the possible
error scenarios. Such hang-ups can be be ovserved when you see usb-drivers in
"D" or "DW" state....

my current kernel version 2.4.23-pre7 seems to work best so far, but i did not
do a exhaustive research on this very recent kernel version.

Cheers
        Christian

--
Christian Mahr (privat)                  christian.mahr.ulm_at_arcor.de