Subject: ANNOUNCE: Flash support for the ROM-less variant
From: [IDC]Dragon (idc-dragon_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2003-10-28

Hello hindered flashboxers,

I now also support the rare species of Recorders/FMs which could not be
flashed although they have the proper SST39 chip (M=BF I=D6).

Some threads about it:
http://rockbox.haxx.se/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2003-09/0419.shtml
http://rockbox.haxx.se/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2003-09/0680.shtml
http://rockbox.haxx.se/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2003-10/0178.shtml

The variant has the bootrom disabled, instead the flash is mirrored to
location zero, so the box starts from there directly. We don't know yet what their
bootrom contains if re-enabled. In the past, I called this variant a V2
bootrom, thinking it had a different ROM, but instead it has none. So I like to
bury the term now. (Especially confusing since Archos is selling a V2 Recorder
now, in fact an FM in the box of the first A/V).

This weekend, I modified an FM which had hardware preparation to be ROMless.
(For the hardware people: /CS0 and /CS2 are wire-ORed together with a double
diode and a pullup. MD1 has a pullup, pulling MD1 low makes it ROMless
then.) Also I did the serial hookup and UART boot mod to it. So I could
comfortably and risk-free test bootloader variants for the ROMless mode. The real
ROMless boxes don't have the option of making a UART boot, this safety feature is
missing. To compensate for that as much as possible, the bootloader now
includes my serial monitor "MiniMon". With that it's possible to reflash if the
first ~2000 bytes are OK. The monitor is invoked with F3+On. Needs the PC
counterpart "RockFlash" and serial connection. But again, this is only for the
unlikely rescue event. You also have dual boot with F1.

It is ready for release now, Chris Muth kindly volunteered and has
successfully flashed his ROMless Recorder with it. FM is also supported, in case there
are any ROMless FMs. I have updated the flash release files in my webspace
to include both variants with latest build, sources are also available:

http://joerg.hohensohn.bei.t-online.de/archos/flash/

The new bootloader with monitor is included in all versions now. But I don't
recommend re-flashing bootrom boxes if the "old" one works for you.

Well, I hope the ROMless users will use and like it. I spent my weekend on
it (mostly on the QA part) without this making my own box any different.

Jörg