Subject: dead "play" button on Jukebox 20

dead "play" button on Jukebox 20

From: Mike Ryan <mryan_at_itol.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:43:49 -0600

I have a Jukebox 20 that is about 2 years old. After the HEADPHONE and LINE
OUT connectors got very unreliable I used the suggested disassembly
instructions on the Rockbox site to open my little gem and re-solder the
connections. Turns out that both of these connectors (plus several others
that I corrected) had cold solder joints. Amazing how just a bit more QC
(and heat) would have caught this problem at the factory.

My Rockbox (oops, I mean Jukebox) has been working great for the past couple
of months. However, now it has developed a new problem. Suddenly the PLAY
button is not working most of the time it is pressed. I took the little
bugger apart again, but I don’t see any obvious way to get “between” the
panel where the switch for the play button is. I’m pretty sure that the
switches used are similar to the metal “disks” on an IC that were used, for
example, in the old Atari 2600 joysticks. If I can get at them, I’m pretty
sure it would be easy to correct the problem.

Does anybody have any ideas how to get at these switches?

I would appreciate any help!

Mike

mryan_at_itol.com