Subject: Re: dead "play" button on Jukebox 20
From: Michael O'Quinn (
Date: 2003-10-29

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Mike Ryan wrote:

> I have a Jukebox 20 that is about 2 years old. After the HEADPHONE and LINE
> OUT connectors got very unreliable I used the suggested disassembly
> instructions on the Rockbox site to open my little gem and re-solder the
> connections. Turns out that both of these connectors (plus several others
> that I corrected) had cold solder joints. Amazing how just a bit more QC
> (and heat) would have caught this problem at the factory.
> My Rockbox (oops, I mean Jukebox) has been working great for the past couple
> of months. However, now it has developed a new problem. Suddenly the PLAY
> button is not working most of the time it is pressed. I took the little
> bugger apart again, but I don’t see any obvious way to get “between” the
> panel where the switch for the play button is. I’m pretty sure that the
> switches used are similar to the metal “disks” on an IC that were used, for
> example, in the old Atari 2600 joysticks. If I can get at them, I’m pretty
> sure it would be easy to correct the problem.
> Does anybody have any ideas how to get at these switches?
> I would appreciate any help!
> Mike

I'm pretty sure you will have to unsolder and disassemble the circuit
board "sandwich". There are a couple of screws that hold the
display/button assembly, IIRC. It's been a while since I've been in
there, so that may not be correct.

Take a look at the disassembly instructions posted on the Rockbox web
site. Please report back on how it goes.

Good luck!