Subject: Re: file recorded on archos no program will play!
From: John covici (
Date: 2003-10-29

During the recording I was monitoring on the phones and got signal
all the time and got levels on the meters all the time -- this is why
I am posting here. The only thing was and I am not sure that the
disk spin is 5 seconds so it spun down and up quite a few times, but
short recordings have no problems, just long ones.

on Wednesday 10/29/2003 Martin Borus( wrote
> schrieb am 29.10.03 12:34:01:
> >
> > I did try just now mp3fixer on the pc followed by vbrfixc on linux,
> > but the vbrfixc again made the time very different changing from 79
> > to 111 minutes and all I get out of this is silence. Is this a
> > hardware or a software bug -- shorter files at the same level have no
> > problems whatsoever or can the software be changed to do cbr and
> > avoid these problems? I am not concerned about saving disk space for
> > goodness sake.
> OK, I assume either "user" or hardware problem.
> If you hear nothing in the recording, you may have recorded 111 minutes
> of silence. (Don't worry about the time display, this is often wrong with
> VBR files with broken headers but does not affect the mp3 playback at all)
> The reason could be that you selected the wrong source (maybe line-in instead
> of microphone?).
> If that's not the case try listening to the recording over the headphone while it
> runs or watch the level meter. This should give you feedback that something is
> recorded. This should always play back.
> Martin
> Bestes Testergebnis: Stiftung Warentest Doppelsieg fur WEB.DE FreeMail
> und WEB.DE Club. Nur fuer unsere Nutzer!

         John Covici