Subject: Re: Best Batteries
From: Neon John (johngd_at_bellsouth.net)
Date: 2003-10-30

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 05:11:20 +0000, BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net> wrote:

>Given the NiMH batteries we get free with out Players/Recorders are
>cost-cutting-exercise induced cheapies.
>
>There have to be two things to consider when replacing them?
>1) Rating in mAh
>2) Life Span

You can find all sorts of hysterical postings about NiMH batteries if you look
around the net. Considering how cheap AA NiMH batteries have become, life
span really isn't an issue. It really doesn't matter if you get 500 vs 1000
cycles since it only costs pocket change to replace 'em. The two things to
consider are MaH - get the largest possible, and leakage - some very cheap
batteries tend to weep around the positive terminal seal. Frankly I haven't
seen that as a problem in a couple of years.

One of the better deals going right now are the 2100 Mah Energizer batteries
being mass marketed in 2 and 4 packs. A 4-pack is currently $9 and change at
our local WallyWorld. That works out to just a smudge over $2 ea.
Considering that regular name brand alkalines are going for a buck apiece,
this is a very good deal.

I highly recommend keeping sets of batteries together so that each cell
experiences the same number of cycles. I use a permanent marker and put the
set number on each cell. Makes it easy to find the same set when you're
rummaging around in your battery box or bag.

John

---
John De Armond
johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net