Subject: Re: A rockbox survey - and recording failures
From: Gajdos_at_metatem.net
Date: 2003-11-04

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 at 13:19, Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:

> > rehearsals, but the recordings tend to fail with "Updating size on empty
> > dir entry xx". Earlier I got just an error number. Latest build that did
> > this was 2003-10-31. I don't use the Time Split function.
>
> Wow. I would really like you to observe the error number the next time
> you see it. It looks like a problem with the FAT driver.

If I'm not completely senile, it was error -15, but I suspect that the
error message has been replaced with the textual one above. It was
however "dir entry 21" the last time I saw it, but that would depend on
how many entries are already in root directory, or?

> What does scandisk say when you run it?

I've transferred the files to my computer now, but the next time I'll run
dosfck if that's OK.

> > Now, isn't the data coming out of the MP3-encoding chip just being stored
> > in a buffer and then fed to the disk?
>
> Exactly. I can't see how the level could affect anything, except that
> the bitrate may be higher than average for a longer period that usual.

Another thing that has puzzled me for quite a while is that mpg123 often
fails playing files recorded with Rockbox, while mp3blaster works fine, so
maybe the MP3 encoder implementation in the MAS is bending the rules, or
mpg123 is too picky, or - I really don't want to suggest this - the data
is tampered with on the way to the disk...

some sample mpg123 complaints:

----
Playing MPEG stream from R031031-195407.mp3 ...
Junk at the beginning 49443304
MPEG 1.0 layer III, 112 kbit/s, 44100 Hz mono
big_values too large!
mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 1369 bits!
Illegal Audio-MPEG-Header 0x55cad692 at offset 0x17e6.
Skipped 3915 bytes in input.
big_values too large!
big_values too large!
mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 1288 bits!
big_values too large!
mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 1161 bits!
big_values too large!
big_values too large!
mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 1624 bits!
big_values too large!
mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 1288 bits!
Segmentation fault
----
Nice. OK, I don't trust programs that croak because of what you feed them,
but you might find it helpful?

Gotta run now - gig tonight, but I'll do some more testing soon. /JG