Subject: Re: A rockbox survey - and recording failures
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (linus_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-11-04

Gajdos_at_metatem.net wrote:
> Another thing that has puzzled me for quite a while is that mpg123 often
> fails playing files recorded with Rockbox, while mp3blaster works fine, so
> maybe the MP3 encoder implementation in the MAS is bending the rules, or
> mpg123 is too picky, or - I really don't want to suggest this - the data
> is tampered with on the way to the disk...

Well, we don't do anything with the data, at least not intentionally.

> some sample mpg123 complaints:
> ----
> Playing MPEG stream from R031031-195407.mp3 ...
> Junk at the beginning 49443304

That means that it doesn't understand the ID3V2 tag. Try to remove the
tag and see what happens.

> MPEG 1.0 layer III, 112 kbit/s, 44100 Hz mono
> big_values too large!
> mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 1369 bits!
> Illegal Audio-MPEG-Header 0x55cad692 at offset 0x17e6.
> Skipped 3915 bytes in input.
> big_values too large!
> big_values too large!
> mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 1288 bits!

That could mean that the file is corrupt somehow. Can you send me a
(preferrably short) file that demonstrates this?
Send it to temp001 __at __ haxx.se.

Thanks.

Linus