Subject: Organize .rockbox directory
From: Henrik Backe (
Date: 2003-11-04

Hi folks,

I have submitted two patches on .rockbox organizing. These patches should be
as the basis of discussion rather than something that I want committed to
the cvs.
However, the patches are complete and no current functionality is lost (I

One patch (835897) takes care of the basic .rockbox files (.cfg, .fnt, .lng
and .wps),
the other patch (835915) deals with plugins (.rock).

After applying these patches the .rockbox directory structure looks like

/.rockbox/Configs : .cfg files
/.rockbox/Docs : rockbox documentation
/.rockbox/Fonts : .fnt files
/.rockbox/Languages : .lng files
/.rockbox/Rocks/Applications :application plugins
/.rockbox/Rocks/Demos : demo/screensaver plugins
/.rockbox/Rocks/Games : game plugins
/.rockbox/Rocks/Viewers : viewers/players, plugins bound to a certain
file extensions
/.rockbox/Sokoban : Sokoban levels
/.rockbox/WPS : .wps files

The rockbox browser is enabled to browse directories also for plugins. This
make the code almost independent of the directory structure with exception
of the Viewers
directory. The Viewers directory is not shown when browsing plugins because
the plugins
in there are supposed to be started by playing files. I have chosen to hide
the Viewers directory
and the code, rather than name it .Viewers, because I believe that the
directory structure under apps/plugins,
/.rockbox/rocks and the build directory should be the same.

Having said all this here are some questions:
Should the .rockbox directory be reorganized at all?
How should the .rockbox directory be organized?
Does this effect the user interface overhaul?
Does the user interface overhaul affect this?
How should the different directories be named.
Should the build directory and apps/plugins mimic the structure of
Where should files like sokoban/levels.txt be placed?

We apologize for the inconvenience.