Subject: RE: Archo killing open source....
From: Fred Maxwell (
Date: 2003-11-08

David McIntyre wrote:

> And set an important precedent, and recovered their legal fees.

David, you clearly know much more about these legal matters than I do. The
public statements about the settlement of the lawsuits regarding the Rio did
not disclose the terms of the settlement (including whether Diamond recouped
any of their legal fees) but you apparently are privy to information not
available to the general public.

RIAA Press Release:
Diamond Multimedia Press Release:

While you and I can argue at length about whether it's in Archos' interest
to play Russian Roulette with the U.S. legal system, this discussion is only
vaguely related to the Rockbox development effort, so I propose that we
either take it offline or just call an end to it. Additionally, I would
hate to see you or your contacts suffer legal consequences for disclosing
terms of the sealed RIAA/Diamond settlement.

  Fred Maxwell