Subject: Re: Third Party Development
From: David McIntyre (plugh_at_mudbarn.com)
Date: 2003-11-10

Here's the message I sent to Archos regarding support of opensource
development, followed by their response.

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 09:39:00AM -0800, David McIntyre wrote:
> I was disappointed to learn of Archos' position and response to the developer
> working on the Avos project, i.e. the replacement firmware for the AV3xx line
> of products. I feel there is far more to gain by supporting, or at least not
> restricting the development of new firmware for hardware devices already
> released and deployed. Since it appears that Archos intended to release the AV
> series of products and not provide any paid upgrades to the firmware, I can't
> see a justification in prohibiting third party development. The people who are
> interested in the project are not seeking to rob Archos of any money, rather
> they are bent on breathing new life and extended functionality to your line of
> hardware products.
> Please re-consider your position on third party development. I think you'll
> realize that it can put Archos in a far superior financial and tactical
> position in the marketplace.
>
> --
> David McIntyre plugh_at_mudbarn.com http://www.mudbarn.com
> PGP Key fingerprint = CAB5 A73A 43FA 19E3 449D 20B8 25D7 FA84 8847 D6A7
> http://www.mudbarn.com/~plugh/plughinfo.txt for geek code, pgp key, etc.

When Archos found some firmware bugs wish to add more features, they will
modify/fix the firmware and comes out with the firmware upgrade. However
they won't provide any more information beyond the firmware update posted on
the web.