Subject: Re: Archo killing open source....
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-11-11

Can we please kill this thread? It's mostly just wild speculations, often with complete disregard for applicable jurisdiction.

Fact: Rockbox is 100% legal in europe, where the reverse-engineering work was done. Reverse engineering the Multimedia is also 100% legal here. Archos sending legal threats to anybody has *nothing* to do with whether it's legal or not.

Archos are panickingly scared of their competitors. Their reasons for refusing to cooperate with Rockbox were the same as they now state as reasons for bullying the AVOS guy: They are afraid their competitors will find out stuff about their products.

This is silly for two reasons:

1. Archos' products are not particularly unique. There are no innovations for competitors to "steal" in their firmware. The devices are basically standard hardware, nicely packaged.

2. Even if there were innovative things to be found in Archos devices, their competitors would already know about it! In no way does an alternative firmware implementation reveal details that their competitors do not discover faster on their own.

However reason has never been Archos' strongest side, hence their history of illogical decisions. This latest legal threat is just the last in a long line of bad ideas. Just ignore it.

I hereby repeat my offer (previously made in private) to host the Multimedia descrambling source code on the rockbox.haxx.se domain.

Now, let's all stop playing TV laywers and get back to the fun stuff.

--
Björn