Subject: RE: Does nobody use ARCHOS Stereo Microphone ??
From: Andreas Stemmer (groovingandi_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2003-11-13

Frank Incensed wrote:
> How is the amplification with the archos stereo mic? I use a mono
> battery power mic from Radio Shack, and even recording with the db at
> its highest level, I have to edit the file with soundforge in order
> to increase the voulume to a dectectable level.

That's because the battery in your mic is for powering the mic only, there's
no preamp and therefore the level is much too low. The archos mic has a real
preamp which brings the small mic signals to line level, making it great for
recording lectures and other more or less silent events. The archos mic is
not very good for recording loud events like live concerts or band
rehearsals because it gets distorted even with the lowest gain setting on
the preamp and in rockbox.

Andreas Stemmer