Subject: Re: My FMR just died

Re: My FMR just died

From: Neon John <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:28:46 -0500

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:37:27 -0800, Henry Mitchell <hmitchell_at_fastmail.fm>
wrote:

>Well, after less than 10 months, my FMR just died.

<snippity>

 I will never buy another Archos product again (I had
>previously had a neutral-at-best experience with the CDR, but chalked it
>up to immature technology). I'm hoping I can salvage the material on
>disk and go on my merry way with a different product like Creative, etc.
>
>Sigh.

You'll hate the Creative box. Everything Rockbox does right they do wrong,
the worst of which is probably that it is a database-based player.

Like everyone else who has been through this, you've learned that the FMR is
absolute junk. OTOH the plain Recorder is a solid product IF it works right
out of the box. Just yesterday the last of my circle of friends who bought an
FMR got rid of it (thank God for product replacement plans!!) and got a
Recorder. Of the 7 Recorders among me and my circle of friends, one came out
of the box not charging. Swapped it out immediately. Otherwise, all is well.
One guy is a lineman and uses his Recorder while he's climbing on poles and
riding in bucket trucks. If it can withstand that sort of usage it has to be
tough.

Face it, you're hooked on Rockbox so yer stuck with Archos hardware. At least
one piece of hardware works OK.

John

---
John De Armond