Subject: RE: Is it time for a formal release?
From: Fred Maxwell (
Date: 2003-11-17

Mike Holden wrote:

> While I'm sure these other features are very good, how many
> people have looked at them and tested them in earnest?
> I would say that if we are looking for a quick release, we
> should look to have a feature freeze immediately, release
> Beta-1, then have a couple of weeks of testing, and only
> fixes that fix known problems will be added to CVS. A further
> 1 or 2 beta releases (or as many as we need) until we have no
> killer bugs left, and look to get 2.1 out before Christmas,
> which gives us about 5 weeks.

I agree with you 100%. Feature freeze, document update, beta iterations as
required (for both the manual and the software), and then a release.

My time is extremely limited due to high-pressure projects at my work, but I
would be willing to test the beta firmware and review the manual (I'm a
pretty decent writer and have had a few articles published).

  Fred Maxwell