Subject: Yipee!
From: Chuck Urwiler (curwiler_at_comcast.net)
Date: 2003-11-18

Well, I've managed to become one of many people who can now compile my own
rockbox. :)

First, thanks to all who have documented the creation of a dev environment
on the rockbox site. Specifically, the instructions on "Setting up a
minimal Win32 SDK". I'm running under WinXP just peachy, thank you.

Also, thanks for those of you who have had the same questions that I had
in applying patches and generating lng files - searching the archives what
just what I needed to get going. :)

Have a couple of questions on what I just experienced.

1) I applied a patch (the playlist viewer patch) and, after some futzing
around with paths and parameters, managed to get only a single error with
the english.lang file. Apparently, it wasn't able to add in some new
entries for me, and I haven't the foggiest idea why? The diff file seemed
to have all it needed to make add the new lines - all the rest of the
files patched just fine. Any ideas? I could roll things back to get the
exact message, but it was something like "hunk #1 of 2 not applied" or
something like that.

2) Any way to automate the building of the rocks and lang files? Is this a
makefile thing?

I'm a vastly under-experienced developer when it comes to command-line
stuff - I admit freely that I'm a spoiled developer that uses GUI IDEs
like VS.NET. :)

What have I done to myself? <bg>
-Chuck