Subject: RE: Yipee!

RE: Yipee!

From: Mark Bright <mark.bright_at_btopenworld.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:13:45 -0000

Andreas Stemmer wrote:

> You're right, it should be step 9. It's not very sensible to do it in
> this order.

That's the conclusion I had reached too

>> In Step 9, without changing directory again, I create Build-dir and
CD
>> to it. I then try to run a command "../tools/configure", but surely
>> that path is not created yet?
> It should be there already, because it's a part of the sourcecode
package.

When you d/load the source package, and ectracted the files into
\home\rockbox
It auto created a rockbox-daily-20031118 subdirectory with apps etc in.
In the absence of directory structure description, it was not clear that
this
New subdir should not exist. If CVS had worked, would it have created
the correct
Structure?

> ~ is your home directory, in this case /home/rockbox/
I would suggest that this should be explained in the doc, us Windoze
users are
Easily confused.

> After installation, you should have the following directory structure:
>
> /home/rockbox/apps
> /home/rockbox/build-dir
> (/home/rockbox/CVS)
> /home/rockbox/docs
> /home/rockbox/firmware
> /home/rockbox/tools
>
> The tools directory should contain the files from
rockbox-tools.tar.bz2
> and the source files from cvs. It's no problem if you have everything
in
> /home/rockbox/rockbox-daily-20031118/ instead of /home/rockbox/, it's
> only necessary that the relative paths are correct.

A paragraph such as this would have helped considerably...

Many thanks to Andreas and Roland (on irc) for their assistance in
getting up and running...

Now where was the document on using patches..... ;-)

Mark