Subject: Re: Gmini 120
From: David McIntyre (
Date: 2003-11-20

There is no rockbox for the Gmini 120. A friend has one, but I haven't seen it
Given recent events, I believe that Rockbox would be received with hostility
from archos regarding this product. They intend to offer functionality upgrades
as software patches. That means Rockbox would cut directly into their revenue
Personally, I hope we don't pursue this course. I think we're safe while
tinkering with near end-of-life products that are essentially maxed in their
capabilities and limited by a non-upgradable hardware architecture, but if we
start monkeying directly with an Archos revenue source, we risk legal action.
TECHNICALLY, Rockbox violates laws in some districts.

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 01:27:18PM +0100, mourad jaber wrote:
> Hi,
> I was browsing archos web site, and I was surprised to find new archos
> product Gmini 120...
> Is somebody ever view it in rl ?
> Do you thing rockbox can run on it ?
> I'm not directly interested in it ( my ajbr20 rombox is enough for me,
> at the moment ) but it is to stay in touch with archos products...
> See you
> Mourad

David McIntyre
PGP Key fingerprint = CAB5 A73A 43FA 19E3 449D  20B8 25D7 FA84 8847 D6A7 for geek code, pgp key, etc.