Subject: Re: Gmini 120
From: David McIntyre (
Date: 2003-11-20

Your challenge convinced me to go download a copy of the DMCA, which doesn't
apply to you, but does apply to me. It appears that it only applies to
copyrighted works.
Now I'm scratching my head wondering what legal troubles are dogging Dogger.

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 09:11:04PM +0100, Joris van den Heuvel wrote:
> > TECHNICALLY, Rockbox violates laws in some districts.
> Here's a line of thought:
> - I bought the Archos hardware and firmware. Paid Eur 319 for it.
> - It's very easy and perfectly legal to run different software on it, which
> is exactly what I'm doing (in fact, it's the reason I bought it!).
> - I threw out the original Archos firmware. It's just their hardware I'm
> interested in.
> - I have not copied and distributed any software for which Archos claims
> copyright. Archos does not have a patent on the hardware.
> Why would I be violating a law? Or are you referring to Fraunhofer, who
> charge $0.75 for every piece of software that decodes their MP3 format?
> Rockbox is even clear on that: the MP3 decoder is not part Rockbox, it's in
> the Micronas chip. So each and everyone of us paid for the right to decode
> MP3s.

David McIntyre
PGP Key fingerprint = CAB5 A73A 43FA 19E3 449D  20B8 25D7 FA84 8847 D6A7 for geek code, pgp key, etc.