Subject: Re: Should lcd_puts stop the scrolling of a previous lcd_puts_scroll?
From: Kjell Ericson (
Date: 2003-11-22

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, c s wrote:

> On the player, lcd_puts turns off scrolling on the specified line. On the
> recorder it doesn't.

I believe this is totally wrong behaviour of the recorder.

I recall that the player had the same behaviour long time ago, but I rewrote
large part of the scrolling routine because having only two scrollable lines
are much easier than the recorder case.

I believe the difference in lcd_puts() and lcd_puts_scroll() only is that one
lets the text scroll. The old text shall in both cases be removed.

> As a result if you don't do a lcd_stop_scroll call between a lcd_puts_scroll
> call and a lcd_puts call on the same line, the old scrolling text continues
> to be displayed on the line, overwriting the newer non-scrolled text.

My mind comes to mind at this mail-thread:
...where a call to lcd_clear_display() also let any scrolling text continue.
This is fixed now, so I would say that you can fix the lcd_puts() in the
recorder without any question.

As far as I know nobody can have an intention of using this "feature" and call
lcd_puts() just to make a "blink" if a scroll is running. Just fix it!

  // Kjell