Subject: Re: a couple of questions about ver. 2.1
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (linus_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-11-29

c s wrote:
> Since I also asked a while back about the disabling of
> shutdown when the player is on the charger, I'll give
> you my reason. I always have "Backlight On When
> Plugged" enabled, so turning off the player turns off
> the backlight, which I want to do when the player is
> right next to me when I turn out the lights to go to
> sleep. Now I must unplug, shut off, and re-plug.

OK. So the backlight is the reason in your case.

> I guess the real question is... what was the reason
> for the change to not allowing shutdown when plugged
> in? Does it serve a purpose or fix a problem?

Actually, we really didn't see a reason to do it. The comment in CVS:

button.c: 1.38 - "Removed reboot when DC connected. It serves no purpose
and is confusing to users."

If you people really want it back, I'm not against it. Björn has the
final word, but I can't see why he would object.

Björn?

Linus