Subject: Re: a couple of questions about ver. 2.1
From: c s (
Date: 2003-11-29

--- Linus Nielsen Feltzing <> wrote:
> c s wrote:
> > I guess the real question is... what was the
> > reason or the change to not allowing shutdown
> > when plugged in? Does it serve a purpose
> > or fix a problem?
> Actually, we really didn't see a reason to do it.
> The comment in CVS:
> button.c: 1.38 - "Removed reboot when DC connected.
> It serves no purpose
> and is confusing to users."

I don't see what's confusing about switching to the
charging screen when a user turns the unit off while
plugged in. That seems perfectly logical. The current
behavior *adds* confusion, it doesn't remove it. Users
wonder why they can't turn the unit off.

As you pointed out Linus, it may be true that it's not
really switching the player off but rather booting to
the charging screen, but to the typical user the
charging screen looks like "off".

The current behavior may make some sense on Recorders
because it keeps the Rockbox charging algorithm in
control (although I think it would make more sense to
switch the Recorder to a Rockbox charging screen), but
since Rockbox doesn't control the charging on a
Player, disabling the off button accomplishes nothing
functionally, and only confuses the user who may
wonder why he can't turn the unit off.

Do you Yahoo!?
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now