Subject: Hd failure on recorder 20
From: mielpop (mielpop_at_free.fr)
Date: 2003-11-29

Hi everyone,

I have encountered the following problem recently :

I was trying to acces my archos recorder 20 with linux mandrake 9.1. And that
was NOT a piece of cake :

Archos jukebox is supposed to be recognized as a usb mass storage, and I read
everything I could to do so : what I finally got was that it was possible for
me to access it if the archos was plugged BEFORE booting...

I recently re-intalled the 9.1, and then, on boot, I was asked if I wanted to
run the config tool, what I did.

I remember I did not do anything with this tool (meaning : no suppression of
partition or anything, no formating or so).

But after that, I couldn't acces to th internal harddrive in my rockbox :

Here is the thing :

when I run the jukebox, the system begin to load during 1 or 2 seconds, then
shut down. If I keep the on button pushed, I get these values :

Hd register error
SC1 (85) 128
SN1 (170) 128
SC2 (170) 128
SN2 (85) 128

I firstly thought the linux config tool I ran had messed up my partition table
or anything. Which seemed to be confirmed by the fact I could plug the archos
with usb (keeping the "on" button on boot usb pllugged).

So, I tryed to do something with windows XP :

I tryed a scandisk, wich freezed at 25 %
I tryed to format the hard drive (fat 32), expecting I could get a new
formatted hard drive, but the format didnt' succeed (an error message
occurred at 10 %).

- Now, I can not anymore access the hard driove with usb (under linux or
windows).

- I can hear a strange little noise when I keep the "on" button pushed
(something like a speedy "tac tac tac tac".

- Still, I get the given values.

Hd register error
SC1 (85) 128
SN1 (170) 128
SC2 (170) 128
SN2 (85) 128

I read the thread
http://rockbox.haxx.se/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2003-08/0497.shtml
But it does concern a new HD recognition problem.

Anyway, my feeling is that my hard drive is down... But, as I didn't manage to
do anything mechanically, I wonder if I could not do anything (except
changing the drive).

Firstly, does anywone know what is wrong with my jukebox (is it necessarily a
HD problem).
Secondly, does anywone have any idea of what happenned ?
Thirdly, does anywone have a suggestion to fix it ?

Thank you for reading all this long message.