Subject: Re: a couple of questions about ver. 2.1
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-11-29

c s wrote:
> I guess the real question is... what was the reason
> for the change to not allowing shutdown when plugged
> in? Does it serve a purpose or fix a problem?

This was changed for a number of reasons:

1) Many users were confused by the unit rebooting instead of "shutting off".

2) Technically, there is no gain or reason whatsoever to reboot the device. Doing it just because Archos does so is not a good reason either.

3) When running Rockbox in flash, rebooting without a regular powerup sequence introduced many new problems/bugs.

4) Several people (myself included) have felt there is a need to be able to prevent people from accidentally shutting off the archos, since it makes a loud pop noise which is rather unpleasant when connected to a power amplifier at high volume.

The only reason I have heard in favor of rebooting is simply that some people are used to it.

--
Björn