Subject: Re: battery problems?
From: Jon Drukman (
Date: 2003-11-30

At 09:28 AM 11/29/2003, Chris Holt wrote:
>NiMh batteries have a limited number of charge cycles, but do not suffer
>any substantial "memory effect" like NiCads do. How old is your JBR20,
>and how many cycles would you estimate you have put on the batteries?

my jbr20 is around 8 months old and the batteries have been
charged/depleted less than 100 times. maybe even less than 50. the only
thing i wonder about is for the first 6 months or so i left the JBR
connected to the charger almost 100% of the time. does that hurt the

>Regardless, they are quite inexpensive to replace with much higher
>capacity cells. Energizer 2100mah AA cells are going for less than $10 a
>4 pack in stores like WalMart, KMart etc.

i actually have a bunch of 2100mah "iPower" cells lying around. i'll try
them out.

>It's on the end of your thumb. :) You see the notches in the faceplate
>on either side of the F1, F2 and F3 buttons? Place your thumbnail (or a
>small bladed screwdriver if you are a biter) into the notch and pry upward
>and outward. The battery covers, once freed, will slide straight up out
>of the unit, giving you access to the batteries.

brilliant. i had no idea, i thought you had to unscrew the unit! thanks
for the tip. i'm going to replace the stock batteries with my 2100mah
cells and we'll see how that works out.