Subject: Re: Hd failure on recorder 20

Re: Hd failure on recorder 20

From: roland <for_spam_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:31:09 +0100

hi!
> 1) Firstly : I assume when I replace the batteries, I'll have to charge them
> before, and place it into the JB BEFORE charging. Am I right ?
yes - to make sure it`s NOT the batteries or some charging-circuit problem, you
should use fresh ones and charge them externally.

>The led indicated the batteries were full.
which led do you mean? i can`t remember jbrec20 has a "battery full"-led.

> Does the malfunction you suggested implicate my issue keeps affecting the JB
> eventhough ?
a "battery full"-meter doesn`t guarantee, that your cell is _really_ ok.
if it is damaged, the inner resistance of the cell could be quite high, and
that means if hdd spins up the voltage of the cell drops very quickly and.
archos jukebox doesn`t have good "don`t startup when battery empty"-protection.

> 3) As I've been writing to archos, they said nothing about the battery issue.
> How did you discover this was the problem ?
just some knowledge about electricity and trial&error.

> 4) As I've initiated the disk format, the operation failed with the disk
> making a louder "tactactac" noise. Does this mean my HD is down, or, may I
it could also mean, that the hdd is damaged, especially when it always happens
at the same position (when the hdd heads reach the damaged region of the hdd surface)

> 5) As I suppose you solved the problem changing the batteries, did you do it
> yourself, or did you send it to your retailer ? If you did it yourself, what
> kind of batteries did you use ? Same as original or others ?
errr - do you have the fm recorder? then you`re out of luck and DIY replacement
isn`t easy. if you have ordinary archos model, then just replace the cells by
ANY standard AA(mignon) sized NIMH battery. you can buy them everywhere.

> 6) Sorry for asking so much ;)
no problem. you`re welcome
:)

regards