Subject: RE: flashing & warranty
From: Fred Maxwell (rockbox_at_anti-spam.org)
Date: 2003-11-30

Naftali wrote:

> I am from Israel, but I didn't realise this warranty thing
> is so complicated... ;-)
>
> but to set things straight, basically if I flash my fmr
> and then have a problem that has nothing to do with it
> (my HD, for example), Archos should fix it no matter
> where I bought it. right?

As I mentioned in the previous post, Archos would be required to honor their
warranty under U.S. law. I would be surprised if Israeli law was
significantly different in principle. Doing a quick search, I did discover
that Israel has an antitrust law which prohibits automobile importers from
voiding warranty terms due to the use of aftermarket parts and supplies.
That's very similar to U.S. law.

I think that the legal principle that most western nations follow is that
the owner is free to do with an item as he pleases and that the warranty
will be honored unless the owner does something which *causes* a failure.
Such laws exist to keep prices down. If your car importer could "void" your
car's warranty because you used an aftermarket oil filter, then the importer
would have a virtual monopoly on oil filters for your car and could charge
osbcenely high prices.

All of that said, I am not a lawyer (IANAL) and you should contact a lawyer
or do further research if the loss of said warranty coverage would be
financially or emotionally devastating to you. ;-)

Regards,
  Fred Maxwell