Subject: Macro Language???

Macro Language???

From: George Styles <george_at_ripnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:08:37 -0000

Ive thought for some time that Rockbox should support little 'macros', ie,
text files containing lists of commands like 'Play x.mp3' load config
"a.cfg", set volume to 10, set shuffle on/off etc.

In fact, the existing .cfg files are pretty much like that now, except they
are limited to setting settings, and loading wps's etc.

If we were to add new commands to the .cfg files (like Play xxx etc), we
would have a simple macro language.

These text files could then be bound to keys, to provide a completely
configurable UI, eg. we could have /.rockbox/keymacros containing files like
PrevWPS.cfg (which would run when they pressed previous in the WPS)
NextWPS.cfg
Vol+WPS.cfg

and

PrevTree.cfg (which would run when they pressed previous in the treeview)

If these files were absent, it would behave like it does now.

That way, we can increase flexability by adding new commands to the macro
language

You could also have files for F1 F2 and F3 to allow custom actions on that.

thoughts? most of the code is already implemented in the savable configs
part, so all we would need to do would have a new function which checked if
a given file exists, and runs it if it does, returning true, or if it doesnt
it would return false, then then existing key handling code would just be

bool runMacro(char *macroName)
{
  ( This will see if macroName exists, and run it, returning true if it
does, otherwise return false )
}

if (! runMacro("PrevWPS"))
  doWhateverItDidBefore();