Subject: Re: battery problems?
From: Daniel Gudlat (gudlat_at_web.de)
Date: 2003-12-03

Neon John wrote:
> I've bought several JBRs in the last 6 months. The OEM batteries in all of
> them were trash. They would not charge in the JBR and overheated in my quick
> charger. They're residing in a landfill somewhere now and the JBRs contain
> 2100 mah batteries that work fine.

As with all things quality-related, as far as Archos products are
concerned, generalized observations like this are not always correct,
the quality of the products varies that much. I've had my JBR20 for a
few months now (just ordered a second one for my wife), have been using
Rockbox on it more or less exclusively, and the Archos-supplied
batteries are fine: I get between 10 and 11 hours play time out of them
with my collection of lame-encoded 140kBit ABR files, which isn't too
shabby, I'd think.

And yes, I believe that as others have stated here, being scrupulous
about only charging the batteries from within Rockbox may play a role,
as the Rockbox charging algorithm is probably superior to the one in the
Archos firmware.

> Trash the OEM batts and get some good ones. Most any brand will work.

OTOH, if the batteries are indeed to blame, this is solid advice, and
one of the reasons I prefer the old JBR20 - being able to easily
exchange the batteries should be SOP on any mobile device, as far as I
am concerned.

Regards,

--
Daniel Gudlat