Subject: Re: will Archos pay?
From: David McIntyre (
Date: 2003-12-04

Kinda depends on what patents are filed for the formats. Apparantly, Microsoft
has patents on their filesystem. I guess it remains to be seen whether they
have any on their data file formats.

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 03:26:17PM -0500, eD/ARd0 F/KEn^M3 wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Had you seen this:
> >
> > ?
> I wonder what this implies for Linux and the various "free dos"
> implementations out there. If FAT is just a 'way' to format a filesystem
> then isn't the word and excel document formats just a 'way' to format a
> file. They can't charge people for making (unencrypted) word and excel
> compatible files. How can they charge for FAT?

David McIntyre
PGP Key fingerprint = CAB5 A73A 43FA 19E3 449D  20B8 25D7 FA84 8847 D6A7 for geek code, pgp key, etc.