Subject: Re: What is the opinion on the best MP3 players now?
From: SteamShip (
Date: 2003-12-07

I know I am asking this group, largely because I love the sound of the
Archos 6000 I've had for over 2 years. I'm just always shocked that none of
the major reviews ever feature it, and most of what I read says the IPod is
the best in terms of features, quality, etc. I have not owned an IPod, nor
IRiver, or some of the other popular MP3 players.

I would never have said that Archos is a leading MP3 player, until you guys
figured out how to finally give a shake protection cache, and all the other
Rockbox features. Surely you all have good opinions of other players in
addition to Archos.

I'm looking to get a new player, but cannot imagine why I would need the 20
GB recorder model, unless it has a larger cache or much better features. I
also respect the people who did the work on the Rockbox, and figure people
have tried other current models to compare hardware and software with

I started out using the Archos 6000 to hold files, but I now have a 250
Maxtor USB-2 drive that works better for that purpose. I am a real
audiophile with over 7500 CD's and another 2600 Vinyl albums. I will only
listen to MP3's that are ripped with the Exact Audio Copy freeware program,
and usually use my Etymotic ER-4P earphone plugs.