Subject: Playback Question on VBR Recordings w/JBR

Playback Question on VBR Recordings w/JBR

From: Andrew Glass <dpaglass_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:54:46 -0800 (PST)

Hi all. This question isn't necessarily Rockbox
specific, but has to do with the playback of .mp3's
recorded on a JBR20V2.

I've been using it to record the audio portion of some
talk shows. When I copy the files onto my computer at
work and play them back (either in WinAmp or in
Windows Media Player) I am having a problem "fast
forwarding" over the commercials. When I use either
the progress bar or keyboard to skip ahead I get
unpredictable results. Most often even though I've
advanced the progress bar the playback picks at an
earlier point in the recording, rather than a point
further ahead. Sometimes it skips back a minute or
two, sometimes it goes back almost to the beginning.
These were recorded at quality level "3" and 24mhz.

Also, on WMP in particular, the indicated length of
the file is way, way off the actual length of the
recording. For example, I recorded a 30 minute show,
but WMP showed it as 9:13 in length.

Now, as long as I just let the playback run (without
skipping ahead over commercials), the entire recording
plays fine. I can also pause the playback w/o any
problems resuming.

Is this happening because the recording is being made
at VBR? Is there a way to not record at a variable
rate, but to select a fixed bit rate? Or, does anyone
know of a player program that handles VBR playback in
a way that will let me skip around in the file
(predictably).

My apologies if this isn't the appropriate forum for
this question.

Andy