Subject: Re: [Hardware mod idea] button/panel mod

Re: [Hardware mod idea] button/panel mod

From: Chris Muth <rockbox_at_muth.cc>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 14:15:17 -0600

Hmm, just thinking into the keyboard here, but here goes.

If you were to find a SERIAL/RS-232 touchpad, that could work, as the JBR has a serial port.
You might even be able to use the serial in in the headphone connector. That is if the touchpad will work with
only the transmit wire hooked up. You would still have to power it though.

If the touchpad is a PS/2 device (of which most are) you would need to devise a way of converting the PS/2 into RS-232.

Here's an idea for the interface.
A sweep to the (left, right, up, down) is the respective keypad button.
A tap in the middle of the pad is the play/pause button.
A tap in the left, middle, right could be F[1-3] respectively as well.
The JBR's hardware (w\o a mod) does not support soft on, only soft off.
   The "on" button powers the processor, which, in turn, continues to power itself.
Perhaps, a sweep down and the the side could be off?
The interface would have to be changed to support one button operation,
noting that Rockbox uses key combinations. Hmm, maybe we can sense different locations
of the touchpad at the same time? That would be good.

Contact Archos, tell them what happened, and they might just send you a new plastic button row.

Anyway, take care, and good luck.
-Chris Muth