Subject: Re: Oooh look ;-)
From: Björn Stenberg (
Date: 2003-12-09

David McIntyre wrote:
> Where I agree with all your assertions regarding license and credits, and
> where I agree that a unified project would address bugs across the
> platforms, there comes a time in every project to branch (q.v pine/elm). GPL
> is wonderful for allowing creative vision to thrive and build upon previous
> works.

Nobody is disputing their right to fork the project (only the wisdom of it). However they are not free to strip off our copyright and license notices and claim they wrote the code. Even while licensed under GPL, the code is still copyrighted by the authors. Neither the GPL nor copyright law allows the stripping of copyright notices.

> If Rockbox wanted exclusivity, the dev team should have decided on a
> different license.

We don't want exclusivity. We simply want GPL compliance.