Subject: Re: NFO viewing

Re: NFO viewing

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:56:30 +0100

Michael O'Quinn wrote:
> Even better would be the ability to look at ANY file with the text viewer.
>
> This would require either (a) creating a list of file types that the text
> viewer will open when that file is "Played," or (b) being able to invoke
> the text viewer in some manner OTHER than pressing "Play" on the file.

It would be fairly trivial to add "view as text" to the ON+PLAY meny. But we need to review the text viewer code first, to make sure it doesn't choke when trying to view an mp3 or other binary data.

Looking a bit forward, however, we should instead add a system to bind plugins to file extensions (maybe with wildcards). A simple /.rockbox/file_types file could describe this:

.txt:/rockbox/.rocks/viewer
.nfo:/rockbox/.rocks/viewer
.ch8:/rockbox/.rocks/chip8
.html:/usr/local/bin/rocks/mozilla

...and so on. If more than one plugin can view a certain file type, the user should be prompted with a choice.

--
Björn