Subject: ATA Error -52 HELP!

ATA Error -52 HELP!

From: SteamShip <steamship_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 05:25:35 -0500

I just got my 20GB recorder 50277 model from Amazon.com yesterday. I
charged the original batteries in the Archos charger for 8 hours, and loaded
the Rockbox ver 2.1 which went well.

All the settings & USB-2 (WinXP Pro system) connections worked perfect. I
decided to flash it, so downloaded the flash_rec.zip file today from the
link, and unzipped this Rockbox zip into the Archos. After verifying that I
had a flashable ROM with debug, I backed up the original firmware (from the
Dump) to my PC, and did the flash. It went perfect and verified.

After the flash, I tested turning it on/off with an without the F1 (old
Archos works fine). I then unzipped the original Rockbox Ver 2.1 BACK into
the Archos to overwrite the flashing version (I thought the Ver 2.1 on the
main download page was more current than the flashing version). I deleted
the .bin files and the flash file, and again verified that everything was
working just fine.

I then started transferring two CD's that I ripped to MP3 songs over, and
with one song my windows transfer was interrupted with a message "Cannot
copy <filename>: the patch is too deep" When I selected that one song it
did transfer over the next time, and the error did not repeat

After transferring about 75 songs in various folders (~250 MB's of songs), I
disconnected from USB and turned off and back on. Rockbox 2.1 started up
then it gave the error:

ATA error -52
Press ON to debug (which I did) This is what it showed (the AN values
flickered through various characters which I tried to see and show in
parentheses):

PADR: A27F
PBDR: BD95
AN0: 3FF AN4: 000 (to 002)
AN1: 1E0 (to 1F9) AN5: 000 (to 002)
AN2: 001 (to 003) AN6: 350 (to 356)
AN3: 15B (to 15C/D) AN7: 16F (to 170)
Batt: 5.48 V (to 5.50) -1%
ATA: master, 0x200

Then I pressed the Off button, and it displayed:

*Panic* ATA: -52

I can start it with F1 into old Archos firmware. I decided to put in my
1800 mAH batteries and it seems to be ok again, but the charging batteries
is keeping the display light on.

These new batteries are saying on the display Batt: 5.80 V (+/- .01) 81%

I did not find any help on the FAQ, Bug Report, or just now in IRC. I
would sure like to know if I have a bad recorder, or a problem with the
flash.