Subject: Re: Avos and strategy (was: avos)

Re: Avos and strategy (was: avos)

From: Jimmy Moore <jimmy_at_axod.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:39:28 -0800

Get real,

If I buy a mouse, Do I then have to pay to download the driver for it
from their website?

If I buy a computer, do I have to pay extra to use the cd-rom drive???

I will never, ever pay for hardware drivers. That's just ridiculous.
It's like selling a car without a petrol tank, then saying 'Ah sir you
mean you want to drive it? That's extra. You'll need our petrol tank for
$1,000,000'
It's a scam. It should be illegal.

I would not mind so much if the firmware was actually any good.

Archos is legendary for having no technical support, and the worst
firmware possible. The firmware is ameteurish at best.

Archos' only hope of survival was embracing open source firmware, to
enhance their product. Instead of doing that, they thought they would
sue those pesky evil developers who wanted to work for free.

Just wait until the likes of Sony, Microsoft, Apple,etc release portable
video/multimedia devices... Will we ever hear of Archos again?
I doubt it if they carry on thinking they can *laugh* sell their
firmware, and sue anyone who dares to try and make better firmware.

                        Jimmy

--
Jimmy Moore <jimmy_at_axod.net>