Subject: Re: Avos and strategy
From: SteamShip (
Date: 2003-12-15

Having been on both sides of numerous lawsuits, David is correct. Here in
the USA, to initiate a lawsuit, most lawyers require $20,000 USD up front as
a retainer before they will take your case and file the suit. A typical
lawsuit that goes to a jury trial will exceed $50,000 in legal, deposition,
other expenses, expert witnesses, and court/transcription fees. Appeals are
on top of that.

Using a lawyer to defend yourself as a victim in a suit can have similar
expenses. You cannot use public defenders in a civil lawsuit. You may win,
but lose your home defending. Most people just live in a fantasy world
about this topic. It is the tactic that the RIAA is using (publicizing the
few they actually take to a trial) to try to scare copyright abuse.

I'm not saying anyone should back down, but blowing off in an email
distribution list is one thing. Blowing off in a court subpoena mandated
deposition while paying your lawyer $200 per hour is quite another.