Subject: Re: Differences between V2 and original and FW

Re: Differences between V2 and original and FW

From: SteamShip <steamship_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:46:06 -0500

I bought two last week from Amazon's own supply for $232 USD from this
link: http://tinyurl.com/ze2a The first turned out to have a defective HD
(unrelated to flashing) and my replacement will arrive on Wed.

I may try to flash this 2nd one, both of which had the correct ROM chip
without the ??? marks on detection, and could be flashed. I asked
earlier how important the flashing was.

Linus responded saying: "Nothing, except that you will be able to start
playback automatically when you use the car adapter mode in the future.
As it is now, you get stuck in the Archos charging screen."

In other words if you are not going to use the car adapter, and don't mind
waiting 4 seconds for the Archos Crapware to bootup, there apparently
is no difference. (Others will correct me if I'm wrong). With 2300 mAH
high capacity NiHM batteries, I do not need the Car Charger.

These do not charge via USB like the IPOD.