Subject: Re: Control when in USB mode?
From: Chris Holt (
Date: 2003-12-16

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:50:39 -0800 (PST), Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> I haven't looked at the code and don't have a good sense of what is
> hardware-restricted and what isn't. What happens when you plug in a
> USB cable? Is there any way at all to get control at this point? It
> seems somewhat annoying that I need to use a computer as a middleman to
> transfer pictures from my digital camera to the player when both ends
> speak USB.
> -Rasmus

One end needs to act as a Host. The camera and player are both slave
devices, so this is a hardware restriction.

Once again, consumers have screwed themselves by choosing the less
expensive format. (IEEE 1394 devices (Firewire, iLink, etc.) can
communicate on a peer to peer basis, as most anyone with a digital video
camera can tell you.) :P