Subject: RE: Archoc usage poll for patch
From: TP Diffenbach (rockbox_at_diffenbach.org)
Date: 2003-12-16

> What ever happened to the battery life patch? Just wondering....

Two things: my FMR became essentially unusable due to a short, and the tests
results from the Recorders were hard to interpret: specifically, I couldn't
tell from the data when the unit was playing as opposed to idle (which I
could determine from FMR results.)) About the time I was puzzling over the
Recorder results, my FMR was becoming harder and harder to boot, making it
very difficult to test against (and battery level testing isn't amenable to
the testing in the simulator). I apologize to everybody who took time to
test.

The upshot is this: while it's clear that the battery patch will extend life
(see http://www.diffenbach.org/rockbox/ebl_test/results/ebl_results.html),
it's not clear by how much (although it seems at least 10%), and there were
complaints about how the patch extended battery life (specifically, by not
updating the screen and forgoing saving resume data).

Currently, my Archos is being serviced; once I have it back, I'll attempt to
work out a compromise that will save resume information (I've been looking
at the code to figure out where to do this); in the meanwhile, I can work on
my new patch idea, as it's still quite far from testing on hardware.

--Tom